Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Guess who I met?

I met Scott Adams, Dilbert cartoonist and best-selling author.

I work for a little dog and cat charity, and he graciously agreed to do a photo shoot with his 19-year-old cat, Sarah, for our 2009 celebrity pet calendar. Sarah likes to lick Scott's face like a "toothless, starving angel trying to lick a pork chop".

Stephanie Secrest and I showed up at Scott's office and greeted Sarah, an adorable black and white tuxedo kitty who loves Scott to death but is a bit shy around strangers.

Scott was very kind and warm-hearted. I think men who love cats are the best kind of men.

What I haven't mentioned up to this point is that I have been a huge Scott Adams fan for over ten years. I'm a DNRC subscriber, I have all his books, and I read his blog every day.

I was absolutely terrified about this photo shoot.

Not because he was a celebrity. I work for a celebrity, and have to deal with them occasionally as part of my job.

I was terrified because the last time I met a celebrity that I was a huge fan of, he turned out to be a total asshole. Of course, that guy was a musician. My guess is that rock star types are more likely to be assholes than engineer/writer/tech geek/cat loving types.

I was immensely relieved to discover that Scott Adams is a genuinely nice, down to earth, sweet guy who loves his cat. And, without reservation, his cat loves him too.

That pretty much says it all.

No comments: